As a grass-roots organization, The New Story Group of Waterloo Region is dedicated to building inclusive communities where every community member has an opportunity to experience belonging.
Many in Waterloo Region are trying to figure out how to enhance belonging. Many are asking: What does belonging mean? What does it look like? And how do we nurture it?
The New Story Group was founded in 2010 by people families and agencies to start a ‘new story’ of inclusion, a movement that provides strategies and a common language to achieve a vision of an inclusive community where people can belong. It was developed by families with children with disabilities who wanted their children to be more involved in community.
By taking part in conversations about belonging, The New Story Group has heard various stories and concerns.
- Seniors are living alone and are very isolated.
- People with mental health issues are lonely and have few friends.
- New Canadians need support to enhance their sense of belonging.
- Civic engagement seems to be at an all-time low.
- Some neighbourhoods are welcoming and others are not.